Registering a Trademark
Below you will find a step-by-step guide to applying for federal trademark registration. You can also register your mark in your state, which will put others on notice as to your ownership of legal rights to the mark. Also, you may want to download FindLaw's Guide to How to Register a Trademark [PDF] for an overview of the process of obtaining and registering a trademark over your goods.
Step #1: Should You Apply for Federal Registration?
Step #2: Perform a Trademark Search
- Search Trademarks Online Now (USPTO)
Step #3: File a Federal Trademark Application
- Filing a Federal Trademark Application FAQ
- What is Included in the Application?
- Depiction of the Mark ("Drawing")
- Identification of Specific Goods/Services
- Application Filing Fee
- Fees and How to Pay (USPTO)
- "Specimen" of Use