Are You a Legal Professional?

What Tax Forms Do Sole Proprietors Need?

A sole proprietorship is an unincorporated business that is owned by one individual. You include the income and expenses of the business on your own tax return. If you are a sole proprietor, use the information in the chart below to help you determine some of the forms that you may be required to file.

Note: the table below contains links to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) forms in PDF format.

If you are a sole proprietor then you may be liable for...

 Use Form...

 Income Tax

1040 and Schedule C or C-EZ ( Schedule F for farm business)

 Self-employment Tax

1040 and Schedule SE

 Estimated Tax


 Employment Taxes:

  • Social security and Medicare taxes and income tax withholding
  • Federal unemployment (FUTA) tax
  • Depositing employment taxes
  • 941 ( 943 for farm employees)
  • 940 or 940-EZ
  • (Must be filed electronically)

 Excise Taxes

Refer to the Excise Tax web page

Next Steps
Contact a qualified business organizations attorney to help you
choose the best formation for your business.
(e.g., Chicago, IL or 60611)

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution