Sole proprietorships are the simplest of all legal structures but they also lack many of the legal and financial protections of other business forms. This section provides both basic and in-depth information about sole proprietorships, including tax implications, state registration requirements, what to expect when running a business with your spouse and more. It also features step-by-step help to get you get started.
- How to Set Up a Sole Proprietorship
Overview of how to set up a sole proprietorship.
- Starting a Sole Proprietorship FAQ
Answers to common questions about starting a sole proprietorship.
- Sole Proprietorship Taxes
The tax obligations of sole proprietorships.
- What Tax Forms Do Sole Proprietors Need? .
Federal tax forms for sole proprietorships, including links.
- Your Sole Proprietorship and Your Spouse.
Tax and ownership implications for sole proprietorships run by married couples.
- Checklist: Starting a Sole Proprietorship.
Four main steps to starting a sole proprietorship.
- Naming Your Business
Articles and resources to help you name your business.
- Federal Small Business Requirements
Overview of federal small business requirements.
- State Guide: Obtaining Licenses & Permits
State-specific links for obtaining business licenses and permits.
- State and Local Small Business Licenses for Start-Ups
Overview of license and permit requirements for start-ups.
- Do You Need an EIN?
Worksheet to determine whether you need a federal tax ID number.