This section contains information and resources for small business owners who are interested in forming a non-profit (tax-exempt) organization. Here you will find tips on legal issues related to non-profit organizations -- including making sure your company receives the 501(c)3) tax exemption -- and a "Non-Profit QuickStart" tool that walks you through each phase of the start-up process.
- Overview: Non-profit Benefits.
Overview of what it means to be a non-profit, including liability and funding issues.
- Top Five Reasons to Incorporate a Non-Profit Organization.
Top reasons you may want to incorporate a non-profit.
- Becoming a Tax-Exempt Organization.
Primer on what it takes to become a tax-exempt organization.
- Run a Non-Profit: Keeping Your Tax Exempt Status.
Basics of running a non-profit and maintaining tax-exempt status.
- Non-profit Taxes: When Non-profits Make a Profit.
When and how profits are taxed in a non-profit organization.
- Strategic Planning for Nonprofit Organizations.
Creating goals, conducting research and other aspects of strategic planning.
- How to Use Your Nonprofit Website to Fundraise.
Nine-point plan for raising money through your website.
- Nonprofit Publishing: Should You Do It?.
How to use printed materials and web content to promote your non-profit.
- Top Five Tips to Keep Nonprofit Volunteers Coming Back.
Five ways to keep volunteers engaged.
- How to Form a Non-Profit.
Overview of how to form a non-profit.
- Checklist: Starting a Non-Profit Corporation.
How to start a non-profit, in 11 steps.
- Non-Profit Corporation FAQ.
Answers to frequently asked questions pertaining to non-profit corporations.
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of nonprofit, tax-exempt status?.
Benefits and drawbacks of being a non-profit.
- Nonprofit Financial Statements.
Overview of non-profits' obligation to make financial statements public.
- Nonprofit Membership Class: Intentions Matter.
Basics of voting rights among non-profit members.
- Non-Profit Business Formation
Packages for starting a non-profit entity, for purchase.
- State Guide: Forms and Fees for Business Formation.
Links to state-specific business formation fee information and forms.
- State Guide: Corporations Offices.
Links to corporations offices in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C.
- Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits
Tax updates and guides for non-profit organizations (IRS).
- USA.gov for Nonprofits
Broad array of government resources for non-profits (U.S. government).
National database of non-profit organizations (GuideStar USA).
- Do You Need an EIN?.
Worksheet to help determine whether you need an EIN.
- Becoming a Tax-Exempt Organization
- Checklist: Starting a Non-Profit Corporation
- How to Form a Non-Profit
- How to Use Your Nonprofit Website to Fundraise
- Nonprofit Corporation FAQ
- Nonprofit Financial Statements
- Nonprofit Membership Class: Intentions Matter
- Nonprofit Publishing: Should You Do It?
- Nonprofit Taxes: When Non-profits Make a Profit
- Overview: Non-profit Benefits
- Run a Non-Profit: Keeping Your Tax Exempt Status
- Strategic Planning for Nonprofit Organizations
- Top Five Reasons to Incorporate a Non-Profit Organization
- Top Five Tips to Keep Nonprofit Volunteers Coming Back
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of nonprofit, tax-exempt status?