Information Security and Privacy Resources
Although information technology is an important tool for doing business, a data security breach can be devastating to both a company's reputation and its bottom line. Thankfully there are numerous information security and privacy resources available from private companies, non-profit organizations, industry trade groups and government agencies. The following resources will help you maintain a solid information security policy.
- Better Business Bureau - The BBB's section on data security and privacy provides updates for small business owners on changes to laws and advice for addressing information security risks.
- Federal Trade Commission - The FTC has multiple resources for businesses, including a section focused on identity theft.
- Privacy Manager's Resource Center - This resource from the Better Business Bureau focuses on helping businesses develop trust with consumers.
- IBM Small Business Center - Various resources for small business owners, including data security information and technology advice.
- Visa - Information about payment card security standards for merchants.
- OnGuard Online - Provides tips to help prevent internet fraud, secure your computers and protect personal information (managed by FTC).
- International Data Protection Laws - List of data protection authorities in Europe and other countries around the world.
- Phishing/Spoofing Tutorial - eBay tutorial on how to spot fake emails and protect against phishing.